Monday 2 July 2012

Desi Summer Blockbuster:Gangs of Wassepur


As I begin to write this review, I just think that for these kinds of movies I am in such a dilemma. There are several reasons for me to feel this way. Firstly it is a movie that has been appreciated extensively by the West. It is a movie that has got mixed reactions right here in India and most of my close friends either like the movie or do not understand it. So at this juncture, it does cross one’s mind that do I play it safe and go with the review that people want to hear and what is pretty established about its perceptions, or do I give an honest opinion from my heart. I’m glad to say that for this one, I am certainly going with the latter to give you a different perspective and to tell you my experience in it’s entirety.

Anurag Kashyap is known to have mastered the ‘noir’ genre in Indian Cinema. He has been compared to greats like Tarantino and for good reason, although his consistency is still far from the people he is compared to. In the prologue of the movie you can see that he has thanked certain people to help inspire him to go back to his roots, which in my head is him smoking up and writing stories, but it also means making cinema purely for cinema and without any commercial expectations. This Film currently has recovered enough money to be called a hit, and with the sequel to release(yes, there is a sequel) in 2 months time, it will ensure that the movie earns way above it’s investment. But had it been that this movie released 10 years back when ‘Anurag Kashyap’ wasn’t a brand of filmmaking, this movie would have been down in the dumps, much like his most brilliant film ever-Black Friday.

But times have changed, audiences have changed and movies have changed and how! Gangs of Wassepur is a new-gen take on what is actually the oldest concept in Hindi Cinema-Revenge!!..it does not go all out like Zanjeer or Agneepath, nor does it go slick like Don, it’s just lazy, laidback and plays like a backstory actually, which is sort of the thing that I have the biggest problem with. It has made a movie of 2 hours and 45 minutes to say so little and is pending it’s conclusion in a sequel which is going to be equally long, and it’s not kine there is a lot to show really, it’s just that he has stressed on situations and characters in the movie who might not even have any consequence to the real story!!...

Too many characters, too many sub-plots, although lend entertainment to the movie no doubt, but could have been well avoided. Like my cousin, who I saw the movie with said, ‘Dude, you should smoke up and watch this movie’ and I agree, coz Anurag himself might have been in a trance-like state while making this. It’s too self-indulgent to be mainstream cinema and not like I have a thing against alternate cinema-I liked DevD and loved Black Friday from the same director, but this just a bit too extreme. I will certainly watch the sequel when it comes, and I hope all the characters they so painfully introduced in this film, will have some effect on the outcome of the story.

I cannot finish this review without mentioning the guy who holds this movie together, the most underrated actor ever-Manoj Bajpai. Sheer Genius is what you could call his performance in the film!.In every Frame, whether the situation is comical, dramatic or even romantic, this guy definitely delivers the goods and deserves all the accolades that he is getting. I won’t say too much but I hope he is there in the sequel as well.

Overall, I honestly do not know know whether to recommend you to watch this movie or not because a lot of my friends like it, and I don’t. I would suggest you watch Teri Meri Kahaani and let me know how that was ;-)

I’m going with 2.5 out of 5 for Gangs of Wassepur!!

Keep Reeling!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment